Tuesday 19 July 2011

Happy birthday!

Just a quick post to say it was only 2 months ago today that 2 of the juveniles hatched and looked like this:

11:48 first feed

Now, at least one of them is as big as Mum: #3. I do see a lot of Charlie in her, it's a feeling quite difficult to explain, especially as juvenile plumage is quite different to the adult one, but I just do...

The juveniles have now been properly flying for about 2 weeks but there are still the occasional mishaps. For example this evening, #1 dived after a pigeon almost to the ground and found it really hard to gain height again, probably because there was little wind. She did 2 of the things I thought juveniles might do at this site in this situation and managed to get back up in 3 stages, first landing about a third of the way up, then having a breather two thirds up. The last third was made easier by Mum bringing some food ;) which her sister promptly appropriated for herself.

Once again, I didn't see #2 this evening. I am considering calling him Wally as I am playing this "where's Wally?" game a lot as far as he is concerned. I didn't find him for 2 days last week whereas his 2 sisters were not that hard to find most of the time.

Tomorrow evening will be the third one's birthday, hopefully I'll get to see the 3 of them at some point...

3 comments:

  1. Nat, the male is probably seeking his own space already,more chance of being fed on his own.Dave

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dave, somehow I thought you might say that :) It's in great part due to your posts about male/female juveniles that I don't worry too much if I don't see him for a day or so. Nathalie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I’ve been right here reading for about an hour.Thanks, I’ve recently been searching for info approximately this topic.I am satisfied for your work thanks.
    peregrine trips

    ReplyDelete